The CEC Palace, also known as the Palace of Deposits, Consignations and Economics can be found in Bucharest, the capital of Romania, on Calea Victoriei Street. This edifice resisted in front of the earthquakes that shocked the capital, and its structure hasn’t been damaged.

CEC is open as an institution in 1864 by a law given by Alexandru Ioan Cuza. CEC institution works in different buildings until 1875 when starts the construction of today’s building.   In the 14th century in this place used to be some settlements restored by Constantin Brancoveanu between 1702 and 1703. In 1875 in this place used to be the Monastery and the Inn named “Saint John the Great”. All this buildings deteriorated and were demolished. Today’s building is made on the first old headquarters of Deposit House.

CEC Palace is finished in 1900 by the architects Paul Gottereanu and Ion Socolescu. This remarkable edifice is built in eclectic style and has a dome made by glass and metal. The dome allows natural light to enter the interior and to enlighten the place. The entry has some Renaissance domes ornate with gables and flags. The interior has notable pictures of Mihai Simondie dating from 1900 -1913. “Storm distributes its goods over Romania after Independence” or “Work” are two special paintings which delights visitors.

On September 2005 CEC Museum opened its gates for all tourists in the Great Hall of the CEC Palace. In this museum travelers can see original objects such as: original documents of transactions of financial and banking in the early years of the bank, financial documents and civil collection, treasure of CEC bank products since the 1880s until today, “piggy banks”, safes interwar, stamps, commemorative medals, badges, and cards. During the inauguration of CEC Museum is made an exhibition called “Bucharest between 1850 and 1917”. This exhibition shows 30 original photographs and 100 postcards belonging to the Romanian Academy Library.

Nowadays this construction hosts CEC Bank and also the CEC Museum. This sumptuous historical monument is part of the Bucharest tourist attractions.

The Brukenthal National Museum (Romanian: Muzeul Naţional Brukenthal ) is a museum, erected in the late of 18th century in Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania, housed in the palace of Samuel von Brukenthal — who was Habsburg governor of Transylvania and who established its first collections around 1790. The collections were officially opened to the public in 1817, making it the oldest institution of its kind in Romania.

It is a complex of six museums. The buildings are situated in different locations around the city. The interesting fact is that every building have their own distinct cultural programmes.

The travelers are invited to visit Art Galleries which are located inside the Brukenthal Palace. This part of museum is sheltering and include a number of about 1,200 works belonging to the main European schools of painting, from the 15th to the 18th century like: Flemish-Dutch, German and Austrian, Italian, Spanish and French Schools.

Also, the important thing is that The Galleries include collections of engravings, books, numismatics, and minerals. Furthermore only on this Museum, tourists can visit The Brukenthal Library which is located inside the Brukenthal Palace. The Library is composing of approximately 300,000 library units: manuscripts, incunables, rare foreign books, old Romanian-language books, contemporary books.

The Museum of History is part of a building which is considered to be the most important kit of non-religious Gothic architecture in Transylvania. The museum initially focused its activities on representing the historic characteristics of Sibiu and its surroundings, but in time it has come to reflect the entire area of Southern Transylvania.

Moreover one of the popular tourist attraction is The Museum of Pharmacology. It is located in an historical building dated 1569, where one of the oldest pharmacies in present- day Romania was located. Tourists can admire the most magnificent interior of Romanian building in Sibiu. Museum’s interior is arranged in Viennese Style.

The exhibition is organized on the structure of a classical pharmacy that includes two laboratories, a homeopathic sector and a documentation sector. Also international guests will be surprised by the largest collection medical instruments that are made by approximate 6.000 units which was used on Transylvanian territory.

The Museum of Natural History was opened in 1849 with the help of Transylvanian Society of Natural Sciences. The collections of the museum comprise over 1 million exhibits, including mineralogy-petrography, paleontology, botany, entomology, and malacology, the zoology of the vertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, as well as ichthyology, ornithology, and the zoology of mammals. The last part of trip and the most special one is the Museum of Arms and Hunting Trophies that reflects the evolution in time of weapons and hunting tools.

The Museum is recognized one of the most gorgeous historical location, which is waiting its visitors in every day of the year.

Royal Palace from Bucharest capital is the Romanian royalty symbol which has gone through constant changes. During time, this sumptuous building was extended, burned, demolished, rebuilt, restored and strengthened.  In its beginnings this edifice was the Golescu’s family house. The edifice is located on Victoriei Square, in the central part of Bucharest.

Descendants of this boyar family sell this house and in 1837, ruler Dimitrie Ghica changed it in an important building from Royal Court. It is transmitted to Stirbei Voda and after, to Alexandru Ioan Cuza.  Cuza brought here the symbol of unification and in his times, to this construction was added an additional floor.

When King Carol I of Romania arrived here, he saw this wonderful building and transformed it in a Royal Palace. Carol I helped this edifice to reach the European standards. For this he encouraged French styles in urban development and made two new buildings to the original left one. In 1882 here is built the central corpus, a new building that houses the Throne Room and large reception rooms. The third new construction is used for the guard and the floor provides accommodations for the guests.

The Royal Palace from Bucharest benefited from the first electric lighting installation, between 1882 and 1906.

In the night from 7 to 8 December, 1926 a fire destroy the central corpus of Royal Palace. Because of all this loss, King Ferdinand I of Romania decided to renovate the building, with modifications and improvements in 1927. Now, the first floor is raised to 5 meters and the Hall Throne, Hall Ceremony and Gala Lunches are improved.

In 1930, King Carol II of Romania returned to the throne and he wanted to restore this palace to its original form, but the State allocated money only for conservation. For the renovation are used stone and marble that are natural and qualitative, a material that imitate marble for a cheap structure.

The Big Hall from the ground floor uses the Adams architectural style. This style is invented by British architectures, and proves elegance and power, but also uses some elements from classical architecture. King Carol II made the last modifications and restorations to this imposing palace.

When Communist Regime gained power they transformed the Royal Palace in a complex of Art Museum dedicated to People’s Republic of Romania and a Council of State. As an important event that took place here was the exhibition of returned treasure from USSR in 1956.

Since 1950, Royal Palace hosted the National Art Museum of Romania. For the stylistically aspects are used Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Classicism styles. Tourists that visit this beautiful edifice delight they’re eyes with paintings that show: landscapes of the country’s wealth, peasant’s photos and habits, semi-mythological scenes. To the semi-basement level there is a Royal pool holding a decorative frieze with dolphins. At the second floor are the European Art Exhibition and the Florentine Hall with its painted wooden boxes. Probably, the most important items of this construction are the Voivodes Stairs and the great Throne Hall.

The Royal Palace, known today as the National Art Museum of Romania remains the symbol of national historical arts and change, and is the most important art museum from Romania.

As one of the most important landmarks of Sibiu, the Council Tower is located in the Small Square and its ground floor is a passageway between the Small and Large Squares. The Tower was built in the 13th century and along the centuries; it has suffered several restorations which altered the initial form. The nucleus reaching the 1st floor is the only part of the Tower that was kept from the first construction and after that it was elevated several times and integrated in a group of buildings. The superior floors collapsed in 1585 and ample reconstruction works followed. The Council Tower was completely restored in the 1960s.

Along the years, the Council Tower served as several uses: gate tower, storehouse, fire watchtower, prison and natural sciences museum. Today, the Tower is used for exhibitions and a superb belvedere of Sibiu and Fagaras Mountains.

The Council Tower is a building with 7 floors which retract successively. The tower is supported by tall buttresses which have two embossed lions on the southern part.

Tourists can access the Council Tower through a small sized door from Small Square and you walk on steep narrow spiraled stairs from which you will be able to see your “ascending” through the miniature windows. Reaching the sixth floor you will stumble upon the huge clock which works on all fours sides of the tower, while the seventh floor will open up to an amazing belvedere of the old town. Visitors shouldn’t even fuss about the fees, as it is only 2 lei, roughly 0.5 Euro.

The Council Tower is probably the most famous out of the seventeen towers that Sibiu has. The city’s fortification system is divided in four belts of fortifications which tie the towers, bastions, passageways and churches. The Council Tower is part of the second belt of fortifications of Sibiu.

After all this information, you are probably wondering why it is named the Council Tower (Romanian: Turnul Sfatului); this is because it was situated right by the building where the city council gathered.

The Council Tower could be a place to either start or end a trip in Sibiu, as you can learn many things about its history or otherwise admire the beautiful architecture from the top.

Not only an main sight of Sibiu, which make sure you do not confuse with the tower of the Lutheran Church, another gorgeous tower in the Old Town, but as well a building with many important purposes throughout the years placed right in the heart of the city, the Council Tower deserves to be visited and it rewards all of its tourists with an extremely inexpensive entry fee.

Needless to say what the dictatorial figure of Nicolae Ceausescu represents for Romania, you should know that the house where he grew up can actually be visited, as it is now a memorial house administered by his family.

Ceausescu was born and grew up in Scornicesti, Olt County, situated in the historical region of Muntenia. At 11 years of age, the dictator left the village of Scornicesti to become a shoemaker in Bucharest. He returned for Scornicesti when he was already the communist leader he is known as today, in 1988, with a “revolutionary vision” to turn Scornicesti into a “model town” for the “socialist man”. Therefore, most traditional countryside houses, except his, were demolished and new apartment buildings were founded instead. Through this, Ceausescu changed Scornicesti from a village to an actual city, which today surpasses the county’s capital, Slatina by 120 km2, as Scornicesti has under its administration 13 more villages, which together total an area of 170 km2.

The parental home of Nicolae Ceausescu was built in 1890 in a typical style of the 19th century countryside people, and restored in 1979 by the dictator himself.

Nicolae Ceasusescu Memorial House has two rooms which display the original furniture, as well as objects from those times, like dowry, kitchen items and family portraits; one of the portraits are of Ceausescu at 14 years old when he was arrested.

Outside the house you can spot a bust of the dictator with an inscription plaque saying: “NICOLAE CEAUSESCU (1918 – 1989) THE FIRST PRESIDENT OF ROMANIA”.

Today it can be visited as a museum free of charge, ran by Ceausescu’s brother-in-law who lives right next-door.

It is fascinating how the people of Scornicesti were mostly spared by the dictator’s wrongdoings, as the town itself was raised to superlative as “the biggest town, the richest, the most loved, the most hardworking, the most of the most” and indeed it was until the fall of the communist regime in 1989. Today, most of Scornicesti’s population still regard of Ceausescu as a man who did a lot of good to the country.

Besides this, Ceausescu, as he rewrote his entire biography, he also changed the genesis of Scornicesti, saying that Romania formed around this exact town and that the country organically orbits around Scornicesti just like the nation does around the great leader. In reality, Scornicesti is thousands of years younger, formed only in 1800 by a nobleman named Radu Scornici.

The center of the town is actually placed over the former village of Tatarai, from where Ceausescu’s family comes, under the name of Ceausoglu, which translates from Tatar as “the child of the slave”.

The Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization is an institution located in the city of Deva, Hunedoara County.

The museum was founded in 1882 as the County Museum and hold relevant and significant archaeological collections from the land of Transylvania, such as numismatic, ethnographic and natural science exhibits. It is organized into three sections: history, natural sciences and art, being in the possession of cultural objects classified as national cultural heritage treasure.

The Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization is situated in the Magna Curia Palace or Bethlen Castle, constructed in the 17th century, under the sovereignty of Prince Gabor Bethlen. Under Bethlen’s authority, Deva was named for a short tome the capital of Transylvania. The museum is placed at the foot of the citadel hill close to a beautiful park.

Magna Curia Palace is the oldest historic building in Deva. The edifice has a Baroque style and suffered several transformations during time. The last ones were made in first part of the 18th century. Initially, the Magna Curia Palace was built in Renaissance style in 1621 by Gabor Bethlen starting from the existing house built by Francisc Geszty, the Captain of the garrison of Deva’s Fortress, in 1582.

The museum houses collections of archaeological eras: Prehistoric, Dacian, Roman, Pre-Medieval and early medieval Numismatic collections of decorative art, ethnography (costumes, tools, pottery, religious icons on glass), collections of natural sciences (botany, paleontology and others) and a library with approximately 40,000 volumes. Extensive archaeological discoveries from the Orastie Mountains area are exhibited in the museum.

Also, the Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization has an important collection of medieval medals, old Transylvanian coins, and first bills that existed on this territory. Visitors interested in ethnographic collections are invited to spend a beautiful afternoon in this place.

The Department of Natural Sciences is one of the most exciting places from all the territory of Romania, and was built in 1967. Here travelers can find paleontology collections, minerals, mammals, mollusks and further general information.

In the area was founded Sarmizegetusa Regia, the capital and the largest city of Roman Dacia. Documentary evidence of the city of Deva first appeared in 1269 when Stephen V, King of Hungary and Duke of Transylvania, mentioned “the royal castle of Deva” in a privilege-grant for the Count Chyl of Kelling Under Voivod John Hunyadi. Deva became an important military and administrative center, partially destroyed by the Ottoman Turks in 1550. After this event it was rebuilt and the fortress was extended.

The city of Deva has preserved the historical spirit of the Dacian times, and is worth visiting, being beautiful and interesting especially for history lovers. Corvin Castle is only 20 minutes away from Deva by car.

“George Cosbuc” Memorial House is located in Cosbuc commune, Bistrita County.

George Cosbuc (20 septembrie 1866 – 9 mai 1918) is an important Romanian figure – poet, reviewer and member of the Romanian Academy. He wrote poems for all ages and is considered a classical author, being always present in school books. His first poem “Philosophers and ploughmen” was published in “Tribuna” magazine, and Cosbuc used the pseudonym C. Boscu.

The Memorial House of the poet George Cosbuc was the place where he was born in September 20, 1866 and had a happy childhood. He was member of a large family with 14 children, and he was the 7th. His father and grandparent were priests and they wanted him to stay on this branch. Unfortunately for them, but luckily for the Romanian people, George had other plans and he studied philosophy.

In 1895, Elena Sfetea becomes his wife and one year later his son was born, Alexander (Romanian: Alexandru). Regrettably, Alexander died in a car accident at the early age of 19. George Cosbuc deceased at the age of 51 years, in 1918, and in the “Light” newspaper is stated that he “lives and will live as Romanian nation will live”.

The most beautiful poems of George Cosbuc are: Spring harbinger, Winter on the alley, Their hive, Zamfira’s wedding and Forest Fairy.

In the beginnings, this village was named Hordou, but today is called after the famous Romanian author – the village of Cosbuc. The memorial house is situated in the center of the village, and is close to Salautan River. The house was considered the first literature museum from Romania. It was built after 1840, by Sebastian Cosbuc, George’s father. This memorial house is part of Bistrita  Nasaud Musem Complex, founded by Iuliu Moisil.

“George Cosbuc” Memorial House was restored in 1954 and it’s a typical house village with six rooms. Painted in white, with wooden roof, makes travelers feel like they are in a distant universe. In the beginning, travelers enter on the porch or in the hallway. The first room is fitted with Cosbuc personal objects and his books. The second room has author works, hat and his cape.The biggest room, the living room, was often used as the guest’s room. The last three rooms are filled with exhibitions about his life and work. The house furniture is made in carved wood well maintained, using the style of that era. The author came from a wealthy family and this fact can be provided by the inside decorations and furniture.

The Museum of Romanian Peasant Woman is a tribute to all women for the roles played in our lives. Situated in the village of Dragomiresti,  Maramures region, it’s a traditional house of a peasant woman.

The Museum of Romanian Peasant Woman story

This wood house was the home of Ileana Chis, and was built between 1720 – 1721. Nowadays, the edifice is transformed into a museum and offers to all tourist fantastic stories, legends from the region of Maramures. Is full of attractions dedicated to women occupations and romanian folk costume – mother, teacher, lover, and sister from old days.

It is said that Ileana Chis, the woman who lived here was a beautiful woman, but she died single. She usually said that his man was not born yet. Her three pot still remains in the yard with the red pot on it. Three with pots is an old tradition used for houses where unmarried girls lived.

The writer Nicoara Timis, relative with Ileana Chis, managed this house and transform it in today’s museum. Thanks to him, Maramures is proud to have a unique museum such the Museum of Romanian Peasant Woman as a dedication to Maramures women. This traditional edifice is built in Maramures style. This style consists in circles patterns, straight lines, all plaited together.  Outside is surrounded with wattle fence.

Around the house travelers can discover spindle with bells. This object from Maramures has an unusual story.

There was a normal boy that fall in love with the most beautiful girl from the village. He starts to show her his real filings by going in her house and have diner with entire family. If the girl would follow the guy when he go outside the house, means that she like him. But this girl knew that she was beautiful and attractive and didn’t follow the boy. Because he missed her and wanted her, the boy made a spindle with bells.

The bells from this thing could be opened only if one piece was removed. He went again to the girl and showed her the object. He said to her that she will become his wife and can keep the object only if she can pry the bells.  Of course she couldn’t so they marry and never find the secret how to remove the bells. This is just one of the legends known by the locals.

Maramures offers captivating traditions and legends that all travelers will enjoy. The wooden churches of Maramures are outstanding examples of a group of architectural results from different eras.

Visit now the Museum of Romanian Peasant Woman and discover romanian culture facts, romanian traditions, all the attractions, stories and legends from the region of Maramures!

Fagaras County Museum “Valter Literat” was built in 1923 based on the professor Valter Literat heritage collections. This building tells a story about this beautiful area using its picturesque, antiques and art exhibitions. All these things reveal the past of this area and also modern times.

Fagaras Fortress houses the Fagaras County Museum, exhibiting Roman artifacts, a collection of medieval weapons and traditional folk crafts.

The museum was under Valter Literat’s custody until 1951. In this year the museum has been awarded a permanent establishment and received the status of a state institution under the name of Fagaras City Museum. By order of the Ministry of Culture the name of museum was change in Fagaras County Museum “Valter Literat”, name that was preserved until today.

During time, the museum had a big influence in the historical and ethnographical Romanian research. Museum’s heritage mixed profile (history, ethnography, art) includes a total of 20 collections such as: archeology, weapons, coins, tiles, old books, documents, lapidarium, glass factory, decorative art and fine ceramics folk costumes, fabrics, custom icons on glass, wood art, crafts and so on.

The main exhibition presents the evolution of the civilization from Fagaras in a string of moments and significant events. Depending on the content of its heritage, the main exhibition was divided into three sections: the history of Fagaras (from the Bronze Age until 1 December 1918), ethnography zone (ceramics, textiles, costumes, rustic interior, icons and other beautiful objectives), fine art and decorative.

Every year, Fagaras County Museum delights visitors with unique exhibitions, paintings and pictures, on different topics. For example tourists could see paintings of young artists from Fagaras area. Also, tourists can admire the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem Anointing Stone, made some beautiful landscapes on Mount Athos in Greece and at the opening could listen hymns interpreted by students from Orthodox Theological School “Saint Constantin Brancoveanu”.

Another interesting exhibition hosted by the museum was the “Dresses, ornaments and representation in painting Saxon times”. It was found a world based on elegance and refinement: veil pins, belts and buckles of beaten gold and silver with precious stones.

This museum is ideal for a quiet day or a little stop in a place where the traveler can learn about Romanian culture and the city of Fagaras. Fagaras County has been declared for the first time in 1222 and is an amazing area located in the heart of the Carpathian Mountains.

The Transylvanian Museum of Ethnography (in Romanian: Muzeul Etnografic al Transilvaniei) is located in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. It was founded in 1922 and it has started its activity officially since 1st of January 1923. It is the first Romanian museum founded on a scientific program, having as contributors great specialists of the epoch.
The museum has a collection of more than 50,000 objects reflecting the occupations, the habits and the life style of the Transylvanian rural population. Part of this collection is to be found in the Reduta Palace while the rest of the objects are in the open-air section.
The collection here presented is a representative selection of the items and clothes used in rural everyday life. Besides, Reduta Palace also houses a collection of some 50,000 photographs and some 5,000 diapositives. The library of the museum has some 12,000 scholarly journals and specialized magazines.
Withal the Museum has an important room with original artifacts like: unique type of money from Transylvanian territory, shoes made of straw, beef leather, homemade toys and women’s accessories.
Besides this, the Transylvania Museum of Ethnography has prepared a showy tour for public which consists of 8 rooms: Occupation, Alimentation, Ceramics , Textiles, Clothes, Habits, International section, Department outdoors
One of the most popular exhibitions is the one which presents the traditional clothes where every visitor may see national ports which symbolize the depth of culture in this country.
Visitors are encouraged to analyze delicate fabrics of traditional blouse named in Romanian language “ie”- made of white cotton cloth. Moreover, only here people can notify the differences between peasant clothes and elite ports.
In the room dedicated to the traditional musical instruments there are exhibited signaling old instruments, such as flutes, shepherd’s pipes, stringed instruments: lute, zither, violin, double bass, and in the sector that shows the traditional food there is exhibited the household inventory used for cooking – at the fireplace – in the Transylvanian peasant houses at the end of the 19th century.
For those who are fascinated in this appealing tour, the Museum’s exhibitions are opened from Wednesday to Sunday from 10am until 6pm. Guests are not allowed to consume food and drink inside the Museum, in the exhibitions’ areas, but after ending the tour, travelers can stopped to have dinner on the same street where are different types of restaurants and fast food courts.
After a long day of historical dates and artifacts, tourists may go by walk for a recreation to the Botanical Garden that is near Museum. The place is much groomed and tranquility of nature that will give new powers for next day exploration.