The Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church – The cultural face of Sibiu

One of the most enchanting cities in Romania is for sure Sibiu. If somebody asks why, the question is very simple: Sibiu is one of the most important cultural centers of Romania and was designated the European Capital of Culture for the year 2007, along with the city of Luxembourg. Sibiu’s Old Town retains the grandeur of its earlier days when rich and powerful guilds dominated regional trade.

Also, every tourist need to know that this city is a pedestrian-friendly city with two easily accessible levels: the Upper town, home to most of Sibiu’s historic sights, and the Lower town, lined with colorful houses on cobblestone streets and bounded by imposing city walls and defense towers overlooking the river Cibin.

The splendour of the city is certainly differently than other places on Transylvanian territory.

Besides many interesting museums, coffee shops, historical dates and pretty locals, Sibiu prepared for all Romanian people and international guests one of the most interesting cultural place named: The Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church.

The Church represents one of the most important buildings in the Large Square dating from the 18th century. After Sibiu’s adherence to the Reform, the city was left without Catholic churches for a period of over a century, all the churches serving the Evangelic cult. The exterior of the monument is sober, seven smaller rectangular windows with stone cadres being superposed on the seven windows situated at the first floor. In the interior, the lateral altars are divided by Dorian doubled columns.

The statue of the saint martyr Nepomuk which was initially placed in the Large Square must also be mentioned in this article. During the communist regime, this statue was dismantled and at the present it is located in the interior courtyard of the parochial house in the immediate vicinity of the church.

The church is remarkable due to its early Viennese baroque style, with simple lines at the exterior and a richly decorated inside. The interior is really amazing. Here, travelers can find: the fresco representing “Mary and the baby”, the most important Baroque accomplishment in Sibiu; the headstone of count general Otto Ferdinand Traunn of Abensberg (1677-1747), the military commander of Transylvania and the pipe-organ dating from 1860 was made by Carl Hesse.

The members of the parochial community represent three ethnic groups. Therefore, the divine service is conducted in three languages: Romanian, Hungarian and German.

About Author

mm
Valeria Bragarenco
"Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately". Copywriting is a destiny not a similar job. There is no rules, no limits just you and paper. This way I choose to find myself in this splendid and special world of columns, articles,writing and reading.

Comments

Leave a Reply