Iasi is an urban center from the southeastern part of Romania. It was the Moldavia’s capital between 1564-1859, being one of the two capitals of United Principalities among 1859 and 1862. During First World War, the city of Iasi becomes the capital of the Kingdom of Romania (1916-1918).
This beautiful city is full of culture and imposing buildings. Iasi can be visited in any season for its multitude of tourist attractions, such as museums, monuments and commercial places. The famous city is the birthplace or former for personalities like Mihai Eminescu, Ion Luca, Michael Sadoveanu or Mihail Kogalniceanu.
During the early middle Ages, the documents certify that the name of “Iasi” comes from Alanic nation of iasilor. But, protochronist historians come with another theory of the name, saying that the name comes from a much older Sarmatian tribe: Iazyges from Antiquity, mentioned by Ovid. Another historian showed that iasians (iasii) formed a nation who lived with Cumanians, iasians left Caucasus after the Mongol invasion witch ended with the Battle from Kalka. In Sanskrit and Hindi languages, which have a common origin with Sarmatian language, the world “yash” (iasi) means “fame”. A today lost inscription from a Roman military milestone founded near Osijek (Croatia) in 18th century mentions the existence of Jassiorum municipium. The Hungaryan name of the city Jászvásár means “Jassins Market (Fair)”; the Romanian old name “Iesilor Fair” (and the alternative from Jassy), could have the same meaning.
The archaeological research revealed Roman amphorae in the Ciurchi Street in Copou area of vineyards and a few km from Iasi. Also were discovered Roman imperial coins near to Citadel Hill (Dealul Cetățuia). To the Wolf Valley (Valea Lupului), next to Antibiotics Factory, were discovered Sarmatian tombs, Dacian vessel and ornaments. During the Feudalism transition, on the Iasi territory was identified 19 unfortified settlements, humpies and huts, from the 14th century. Between 7th -10th century were found rectangular houses with horseshoe-shaped ovens and numerous tools, clothing and jewelry placed in Dridu culture. Cultural Ensemple Dridu is a group of about 2,000 archaeological sites (settlements, cemeteries, pottery) from Romania and neighboring countries. The city of Iasi was first mentioned in a commercial privilege issued by Moldavian ruler Alexander the Great in 1408. Alexander the Great was a Moldavian ruler between 1400-1432 and during his reign this city was mentioned as one of the royal courts. It is believed that this city is much older, at least a few decades before that date, proven by the walls of the Royal Court (Curtea Domneasca). Iasi discovers a period of prosperity during the reign of Alexandru Lapusneanu in 1564. Alexandru Lapusneanu was a Moldavian ruler between 1552-1561 and 1564-1568 and he movedthe capital of Moldavia in the city of Iasi. In this time the capital attracts many merchants and craftsmen, most of them from abroad.
The Palace of Culture – located downtown of the city, this palace combines several architectural styles, such as Gothic, Romantic and Baroque. The Palace was established as a true effigy since its appearance in the landscape of the city. It was built between 1906-1925 by architect I. D. Berindei and is impressing by its outstanding dimensions. The central tower of the building which reaches 55 meters high made this place to be considered, in that times , the tallest building from the city. Nowadays, the Palace of Culture is the headquarters of Moldova National Museum Complex which includes the Museum of History of Moldova, Ethnographic Museum of Moldova, Art Museum, Museum of Science and Technology Stefan Procopius and the Center for Conservation – Restoration of Cultural Heritage in the north-east is the Library of county Gheorghe Asachi.
Ion Creanga’s Hut (Romanian: “Bojdecuta lui Ion Creanga”) – is situated in the Ticau District, Iasi County and is a peasant, modest edifice, build before 1850. The Romanian famous writer lived here between 1872-1889. Mihai Eminescu, the most famous Romanian poet and Creanga’s best friend lived in this old house in 1879, for a few months. Ion Creanga’s Hut became in 1918 the first museum and memorial house from Romania in 1918. In this place tourists can discover the rustic house of Creanga, the place where all his stories were created.
Copou Park – is the oldest park from Iasi, arranged between 1830-1834. Here visitors can see Eminescu’s linden, being his place of inspiration. Later, this place became the symbol of the city.Close to the Eminescu’s linders travelers can find Junimea Alley where are placed Romanian busts of great authors. In 1984 is opened Mihai Eminescu Museum which is a tribute to him. The museum includes the most important works, translations of his poems in different languages and several volumes of poetry: Poems (1884), Poems (poems in English, 1938), Augsewahlte Gedichte (poems in German, 1932), Poesies (poems in French, 1931). In this park it can be admired the Lions Obelisk originally called “Monument of the Constitutional Laws” which was built after the plans of Ghoerghe Asachi, in honor of the Russian general Pavel Kiselev and reforms introduced by him in Moldova.
The Metropolitan Church of Moldova and Bucovina – is positioned downtown and is one of the symbols of Iasi; the cathedral hosts the relics of Saint Paraschiva, protector of Moldavia. Every year on October 14, people celebrate Saint Paraskeva and Christians enjoy this special event following the traditions sent from one generation to another. It was founded between 1381 and 1386 and recognized by the Patriarchate of Constantinople in 1401 when it was headed by Bishop Joseph Musat. The Metropolitan Church of Moldova and Bucovina (MMB) is an administrative unit of the Romanian Orthodox Church and is led by Theophanes Savu, bearing the title of archbishop of Iasi and metropolitan of Moldavia and Bucovina.
Golia Tower – has a height of 30 meters and is one of the symbols of the city. From this tower tourists can admire beautiful panorama of the city. People have to climb 120 steps to the top, but definitely it worth the effort. This name came from Golia family.
Braunstein Palace – today is situated in Kilometer 0 from Iasi and it was built by entrepreneur Adolf Braunstein. This man was a very rich Jew who owned several shops along the street Cuza Voda. Adolf Braunstein lived between 1842 -1922, and an urban legend says that he wanted this building willingness to be the owner of a building larger than Cuza Palace today the Union.
Museum Lapusneanu Street – was an important edifice during time, and served as hotel. The construction of the palace began somewhere around 1900; the dome was inaugurated in 1915. It was built in the architectural style with elements of art- eclair nouveax specific to Romania from that period.
Sturdza Castle from Miclauseni – is a Gothic style castle built between 1880 – 1904 by George Sturza and his wife Maria in the village Miclauseni which is located 20 km and 65 km from the Roman city of Iasi. George Sturdza (1841-1909) received this mention like an inheritance from his father Alecu Sturdza (1803-1848) The city of Iasi deserves to be visited for its food, touristic attractions, for its day life and nightlife.