The city of Suceava is one of the most wonderful and oldest cities from the historical region of Moldavia. A vacation in this place will delight traveler’s eyes with many tourist spots such as fortresses, churches, museums, memorials and many more. Suceava city is situated in Suceava Plateau (Romanian: Podisul Sucevei), on the river with the same name, at 21 km from the confluence with Siret River.
The first information about Suceava was found in 1388 when Petru Musat II (1375-1391), the ruler of Moldavia moved the capital from Siret to Suceava. This city was capital of Moldavia for about two centuries, since 1565. The most known voivodes of Moldavia were Alexandru the Good (ruler of Moldavia between1400-1432), Stephen the Great (ruler of Moldavia between1457-1504) and Petru Rares(two times rules of Moldavia, 1527-1538 and 1541-1546); Petru Rares was an illegitimate child of Stephan the Great. From 1774 to 1918, Suceava was the city of the Austrian Empire, Part of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria and the Duchy of Bukovina. During this period, it has served as the Austro-Hungarian border town with The Kingdom of Romania. In the 20th century, the city expanded by incorporating the surrounding localities Burdujeni and Itcani (in Romanian “Ițcani”); today this localities are neighborhoods of this beautiful city.
During the Communist period it takes place a comprehensive process of industrialization of Suceava, whose population increased more than ten times.
The Fortress Chair of Suceava (in Romanian “Cetatea de Scaun a Sucevei”) – a fortifications system built in Moldavia, in the final of the 14th century, because of the Ottoman danger, includes for resistance purpose, fortification of ground and wood, arranged around some settlements. Some fortifications points were positioned in the center of the localities or main roads connections of these. Fortifications of the courts of princes and monasteries and the citadels of strategic importance were located either at the border, on the Nistru’ River line, either inside the nearby Carpathians. Between these strongholds of Suceava Fortress, known as one of the most popular ones, enjoyed great fame over time. Identified with military glory and the ideal of independence of the entire nation, this fortress had a history rich in events and fights. Frequently was seen as a main element of resistance of the entire Moldavia against those who wanted to obey it. Today, the Complex Architecture Fortress, Princely Residence of Moldova presents to all tourists Suceava’s medieval life.
Royal Court of Suceava – this beautiful place was built between 16th and 17th century in the center of Suceava. Burned in a fire, the Royal Court was built by Stephen the Great (ruler of Moldavia, 1457-1504) and rebuilt during Vasile Lupu time (ruler of Moldavia, 1634-1653). From 2004, the Ensemble “Royal Court” Suceava was included in the list of historical monuments of Suceava and it consists of 4 sights: Royal Palace – dates from the middle 14th century; Tower housing – dates from 14th century; Gate Tower – dates from 14th century; Annex – dates from 1486. The archaeological research from these places revealed numerous terracotta tiles, some unglazed and other glazed. The tiles have different interesting ornamentation like the coat of arms of Moldova, armored knights or vegetal and animals motifs.
Historical Museum of Suceava – hosts valuable collection of exhibits, showing the history of Suceava and especially Bucovina. Here it is opened an art gallery with works signed by artists from the country and from Bucovina. An important attraction of this museum is the “Throne room” of Stephen the Great who was voivode (or prince) of Moldavia from 1457 to 1504.
Ethnography Museum “Royal Inn” Suceava – this monument from 17th century presents the main ethnographic areas of Suceava. The permanent exhibition on the ground floor reconstructs vintage atmosphere of a century inn, from 18th century accommodation place for important guests, officials, and merchants who were passing through Suceava. It’s composed of: guest lounge, kitchen, inn room, rest room, pantry, and cellar – all constituting a special point of attraction. At the highest level, are displayed important pieces of ethnography and folk art, representative for this part of the country.
Stephen the Great Medieval Festival – dates from June 31, 2006 and aims popularizing and reintegrating into the tourist circuit Bucovinean the medieval monuments of Suceava, namely Fortress Chair, the Royal Court and Church Mirauti. The main activities in this project – Stephen the Great Medieval Festival have the purpose to bring back the community’s memory about the glorious past of Moldova and especially its capital, Suceava.
People traveling with their family and/ or friends are more than welcome to discover the several tourist attractions of the outstanding city of Suceava. We ensure everyone that after this trip they will fill more peaceful and happy to find more fascinating things about this beautiful region of Romania.