Arges Monastery – is an Orthodox Monastery located in Curtea de Arges. The complex includes the Episcopal Church, one of the most famous architectural monuments of the Romanian Country.
At the time of Carol I, the Monastery was turned into a necropolis for the Royal family of Romania.
In 1866 and 1867 two fires destroyed the seminary buildings and homes, the chapel and tower entrance.
The church was restored in 1875 by the French architect Lecomte du Nouy, whose controversial technical consist the complete demolition of buildings and rebuilding them from the ground.
During this restoration the original fresco was destroyed and replace with paintings “new, cold and foreign to the monument”.
In 1886 the restoration of the church was finished and began the construction of the administrative palace o the east side of the complex.
At the Curtea de Arges Monastery are the relics of the holy Filofteia.
Since 2009 began the construction of the cathedral where the Romanian kings graves and the relics will be moved and the church will be transformed into a museum.
The monastery was built by Neagoe Basarab between 1512 and 1517. The inside paintings made by Dobromir, and it was finished in 1526.
Among the oldest settlements mentioned in our history it is the Arges Monastery with its surroundings.
In 1514 the desire of Neagoe Basarab was to create beyond compare, so the beautiful work was completed three years later on 7 January 1517.
Listening not only the legend but the historical news also, it seems like apparently for lack of money, and with all his lady’s jewelry but more than that because of lack of time, the painting part of the monastery couldn’t be finished before Neagoe Basarab’s death.
So his son in law, Radu de la Afumati, agreed to finish the monastery on 10 September 1526.
Neagoe Basarab’s dream come true, the final construction was mentioned as one of the most beautiful monasteries from the area.
During the years the church was partially rehabilitated, after a strong fire the injured, it was rebuild as it can be seen today by the French architect André Lecomte du Nouy and the Romanian architect Nicolae Gabrielescu.
There is a legend about the construction of the monastery known by the most of the Romanians. The legend says that Manole has built his wife into the walls of the magnificent monasteries. He sacrificed his wife because everything they build during the day collapsed during the night, and they decided sacrifice will be needed to break this curse. So they decided jointly that the first wife that will arrive with food it will be scarified. Manole’s wife Ana , was the first arrived and she was bricked alive in the wall of the monastery.
Nearby the Monastery is the Manole’s fountain. In the same legend we can find the explanation how the fountain got there. It says that Neagoe Basarab saw this grate building asked Manole and his co-workers if they can build a monastery greater than this one, they answer affirmative so the prince to prevent the possible construction of another greater monastery ordered the demolition of the scaffolding so the grate masters were stock on the roof.
They made shingle wings hoping to get down unharmed, but unfortunately they all died. On the place where Manole collapsed appeared a fountain – The Manoles fountain.