The Brukenthal National Museum (Romanian: Muzeul Naţional Brukenthal ) is a museum, erected in the late of 18th century in Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania, housed in the palace of Samuel von Brukenthal — who was Habsburg governor of Transylvania and who established its first collections around 1790. The collections were officially opened to the public in 1817, making it the oldest institution of its kind in Romania.
It is a complex of six museums. The buildings are situated in different locations around the city. The interesting fact is that every building have their own distinct cultural programmes.
The travelers are invited to visit Art Galleries which are located inside the Brukenthal Palace. This part of museum is sheltering and include a number of about 1,200 works belonging to the main European schools of painting, from the 15th to the 18th century like: Flemish-Dutch, German and Austrian, Italian, Spanish and French Schools.
Also, the important thing is that The Galleries include collections of engravings, books, numismatics, and minerals. Furthermore only on this Museum, tourists can visit The Brukenthal Library which is located inside the Brukenthal Palace. The Library is composing of approximately 300,000 library units: manuscripts, incunables, rare foreign books, old Romanian-language books, contemporary books.
The Museum of History is part of a building which is considered to be the most important kit of non-religious Gothic architecture in Transylvania. The museum initially focused its activities on representing the historic characteristics of Sibiu and its surroundings, but in time it has come to reflect the entire area of Southern Transylvania.
Moreover one of the popular tourist attraction is The Museum of Pharmacology. It is located in an historical building dated 1569, where one of the oldest pharmacies in present- day Romania was located. Tourists can admire the most magnificent interior of Romanian building in Sibiu. Museum’s interior is arranged in Viennese Style.
The exhibition is organized on the structure of a classical pharmacy that includes two laboratories, a homeopathic sector and a documentation sector. Also international guests will be surprised by the largest collection medical instruments that are made by approximate 6.000 units which was used on Transylvanian territory.
The Museum of Natural History was opened in 1849 with the help of Transylvanian Society of Natural Sciences. The collections of the museum comprise over 1 million exhibits, including mineralogy-petrography, paleontology, botany, entomology, and malacology, the zoology of the vertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, as well as ichthyology, ornithology, and the zoology of mammals. The last part of trip and the most special one is the Museum of Arms and Hunting Trophies that reflects the evolution in time of weapons and hunting tools.
The Museum is recognized one of the most gorgeous historical location, which is waiting its visitors in every day of the year.