The region of Transylvania is located in the heart of Romania and is bounded by the beautiful Carpathian Mountains. This is the largest region of Romania and is full of delightful sceneries. It is deliberated the cradle of nation, because of its impressive fortresses and castles build by their ancestors – the Dacians. Transylvania is gifted with a large number of tourist attractions and various activities to do. It is a combination between rural and medieval, because every small village still uses the ancestral procedures for land cultivation, collecting hay for animals.

The name of Transylvania comes from the Latin expression “Trans Silva” which means “Country beyond the forests” for its forests that covers the mountains.  First people that stepped here were the Celts, and after them came that Dacian society who built the fortresses and capitals, still kept until now in Orastie Mountains.

Sarmizegetusa Regia was the most important capital of Dacian Empire. Wars between Dacian and Roman Empire made Traian emperor the winner of this area for a long period of time. After Roman Empire, Hungarians made Transylvania part of their territory. Also, during time, the Ottoman Empire tried to win this region, but they never succeeded. Starting with the 14th century this region was transformed in Transylvania Principality, being recognized as an independent state. On December 1, 1918, Transylvania is united with other principalities and together become the Romania country. Wonderful region of Transylvania has great cities that deserve to be discovered year around.

Alba Iulia is a lovely city that is located in Transylvania region. Alba Carolina Citadel is the most fascinating place for tourist to visit, especially after 12 PM when Austrian guards from III Gate are changing and during weekends when are wince bursts of smoke. Tourists can go on the Three Fortifications Route from which can discover: Mint gate Principality of Transylvania, Artillery platform, South Gate Camp Roman military camp. In the fortress travellers can see the Union Hall, the place where was signed the Act of Union of Transylvania with Romania, in 1918 and Union Museum. Also here is the cell of Horea where he needed to stay before he was executed; about him tourists can find more information from Romanian Heroes Route.

Cluj-Napoca is the biggest city located in the heart of Transylvania. Here visitors can discover the Orthodox cathedral decorate with fancy reliefs carves in stone, geometrical and floral motifs. The edifice attractions are the old books, manuscripts, documents about church history, and the past of the Romanian people. Saint Michael Church in an edifice built on the old Saint Jacob chapel. It’s imposing by its Gothic style and mural pictures from the 15th century. Visitors can see on this church a statue of a child without had.

Sibiu is a great city from Transylvania that deserves to be discovered. It’s easy because here travelers don’t need cars because the most important edifices are in the city’s historical center. People can visit the Union Square and the Three Towers: Potters Tower, Gunsmiths Tower and Carpenters Tower; all of them are part of the third fortified enclosures of the city. The Big Square for the old historical center is full of souvenirs, because this is the place where events like Easter and Christmas festivities take place.

Region of Transylvania has cities, fortresses, citadels, nature landscapes and many other things which can satisfy all travelers’ needs.

“Alexandru Borza” Botanical Garden in Cluj-Napoca – the most renowned botanical garden. Located in the southern part of Cluj-Napoca, the botanical garden administered by the Babes-Bolyai University exists since 1920, but it was actually founded in 1872 by Samuel Brassai. The 14 hectares house around 10,000 carefully curated plants from all over the world. What catches the eyes of the 150,000 annual tourists is usually the Japanese Garden and the Japanase house within, or the Roman Garden, where tourists can spot a representation of Ceres, the goddess of cereals, and other remains from the Roman colony of Napoca. Besides being one of the most renowned landmarks of Cluj-Napoca, Alexandru Borza Botanical Garden is a research center as well. Once here, you will find about the herbarium and the impressive pressed plants collection, 750,000 in number, a mix of the personal herbaria of Borza, Baumgarten or Porcius.

“Anastasie Fatu” Botanical Garden in Iasi – the oldest one in Romania. The botanical garden of Iasi was the first one to ever be built in the country, namely, in 1856, by the passionate Anastasie Fatu. The garden has suffered a tumultuous history, as after Fatu’s death, the terrain was sold and all the plants dissipated. After that, it took no less than 6 trials to reach to an actual botanical garden again, as between 1921-1963 there was only a hectare of botanical land, only after 40 years was it able to expand to its actual size of 100 hectares, this making it one of the biggest in Europe. The eleven sections comprise over 8000 taxons.

“Vasile Fati” Botanical Garden of Biologic Research Institute in Jibou, Salaj – The Botanical Garden of Jibou was founded in 1968 by the professor Vasile Fati. The garden comprises of a greenhouses complex, research and microproduction complex, aquariums, zoo, birdhouses, Japanese Garden and a rosarium.

“Dimitrie Brandza” Botanical Garden in Bucharest. The first botanical garden of Bucharest was built in 1860 by Carol Davila, afterwards, in 1884, it was moved to its actual place by Dimitrie Brandza. The Botanical Garden suffered great deals of losses both in the First and Second World War, as the second destroyed 80% of the herbarium. Tourists can also visit the Museum where they will spot 1000 exotic species.

“Vasile Goldis” Botanical Garden in Macea, Arad. Located in the Macea village, around the Macea Castle, the botanical garden extends on 22 hectares and the Botanical Museum exhibitions are displayed on 290 mp. The Macea garden is special because it developed an affinity for wooden species, numbering over 2000 arbors.

Cluj-Napoca hosts a great deal of historical buildings. There are cumulations of palaces spread throughout the Old Town, especially Unirii Square, Avram Iancu Square and Ferdinand & Horea Streets.

Their architectural beauty is undoubted, but there isn’t much historical information regarding them. As we want you to know about them for your next time in the city, here is a list of all the superb palaces of Cluj-Napoca:

The architectural and urbanistic complex of the four palaces on the banks of Somes River, displayed in a square, with only a crosswalk or the bridge between them:

  1. Babos Palace on Ferninand Street, No. 38. The ‘V’ shaped monument was built in 1890 to superbly represent the Belle Epoque architecture in Cluj. It was named after its first owner, Sandor Babos and today.
  2. Szeki Palace on Ferdinand Street, No. 37. Right across the Babos Palace, the ‘L’ shaped Szeki Palace is a neogothic monument built in 1893 by the reputable pharmacist Tibor Szeki. The corner of the L was the entrance to the Mathias Corvinus Pharmacy, which was directly linked to the pharmacist’s apartment through a spiraled stair. The pharmacy is still open to this day and still keeps the neogothic furniture and decorations.
  3. Berde Palace on Horea Street, No. 1. A historical and architectural monument built in a classic Secession style that was finished in 1900. First it was named Being Palace after the one who built it, Samuel Benigni, the vicepresident of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Cluj. In its shadow will be built the Astoria Hotel, one of the famous hotels of Cluj, which today houses the Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
  4. Elian Palace on Horea Street, No. 2. Right across from the Belde Palace, Elian was built in 1891 by an important winemaker, Viktor Elian. It inspires a discreet Parisian air by the Art Deco style it was built in.
  5. Urania Palace on Horea Street, No. 4. A zebra crossing away from the Elian, the Urania Palace was built in 1910 in Viennese Secession architecture, and it is the twin of the Urania Palace in Vienna. For a long time it has been a 400 places cinema as well as it housed a café, a grocery store and apartment buildings.
  6. Rhedey Palace on Unirii Square, No. 9. The building was bought in the 18th century by and gets its name from the noble family of Rhedey. The end of the 15th century found this area as four houses of Cluj patricians. Apparently they were torn down and Rhedey Palace was built in an eclectic style. A plaque on the outside walls reminds how this is where the first Hungarian theater in 1792. You can also spot Sara of Bulusd’s blazon.
  7. Josika Palace on Unirii Square, No. 8. This neoclassic palace is also known as the House with Legs due to the Doric columns sustaining a balcony. Legend says that if a student passes under the columns, that day he will fail an exam. Initially, this was Casa Kakas where Transylvania’s princes resided, but then it became the residence of Antal Josika. Throughout time, it housed the Hungarian Casino, Palace of Justice, Medicine Library and the Court of Appeal.
  8. Wass Palace on Unirii Square, No. 9. The Wass Palace is right next to Josika Palace and it represents an interesting mélange between Renaissance, Classic and Rococo architectures. The last owner was Countess Otilia Wass.
  9. Palace of Finance on Dorobantilor Street No. 1 and Avram Iancu Square, No. 19. Built in 1880 in a Classic style, the building has always kept its destination.
  10. Palace of Justice on Dorobantilor Street, No. 2 and Stefan cel Mare Square The imposing edifice was finished in 4 years, in 1902, and it is a representation of the eclectic style. Today it houses the Cluj Court of Appeal and the Cluj Courthouse. It is possibly the most expensive historical building in Cluj – 17 million euro.
  11. Palace of Prefecture on 21st December 1989 Boulevard, No. 58. A beautiful mélange between Gothic, Moorish Revival and Secession built in 1910.
  12. Palace of CFR Railway on 21st December 1989 Boulevard. It was built in 1980 in an eclectic style and it has always housed the CFR Railways.
  13. Palace of Telephones on Vasile Mitrea Street. Built in 1968, Telephones Palace is a representative building for Cluj-Napoca.

Cluj-Napoca is the second most crowded city in Romania, after Bucharest – Romania’s capital. Cluj-Napoca is located in the heart of Transylvania and is a multicultural European city and a significant endpoint for business in South-Eastern Europe. Cluj-Napoca has an extraordinary potential for foreign investments and is the residence city of Cluj County.

Thanks to splendor of the city, tourism branch is every time afoot. In 2007, the hotel industry in the county of Cluj offered total accommodations of 6,472 beds, of which 3,677 were in hotels, 1,294 in guesthouses and the rest in chalets, or hostels. A total of 700,000 visitors, 140,000 of whom were foreigners, stayed overnight. However, a considerable share of visits is made by those who visit Cluj-Napoca for a single day, and their exact number is not known.

The largest numbers of foreign visitors come from Hungary, Italy, Germany, United States, France, and Austria. This scale tourism is growing up day by day thanks to Avram Iancu International Airport Cluj, which flights are practically non- stop.

The International Airport connects Cluj with 43 cities from all over the world, offering straight flights. The main airlines are Lufthansa, Tarom, WizzAir, Blue Air, ASL Airlines, and LOT Polish Airlines S.A.

It’s important to know that Autonomous Cluj International Airport, subordinates Cluj County Council since 1997, and is the second airport of the country and the first regional airport in Romania.

Cluj County has about 700,000 inhabitants. From this point of view, Cluj-Napoca airport can be compared to airports in European cities such as Geneva and Stuttgart, which recorded annual 12 million and 9 million passengers.

Now, Cluj airport is in the 2nd place in Romania in terms of passenger numbers, after the airports from Bucharest – Henri Coanda International Airport and Bucharest Baneasa International Airport. Within a radius of 170 km around the city live about 3 million potential passengers, whose facility is a key focus for Cluj International Airport.

Also, Avram Iancu airport has received during time several awards: Diploma of business excellence, Diploma of Excellence in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015. Furthermore International Airport “Avram Iancu” Cluj R.A. ranks II among member companies of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Cluj, Finmedia granted Avram Iancu International Airport Cluj the “award for permanent concern for development and modernization” in 2010.

The mission of this airport is to “Strengthened our position as one of the most important airports in Eastern Europe, which offers airlines worldwide through safe and quality services.” Cluj International Airport promotes personal values like: safety, security, professionalism, commitment, responsibility, excellency.

Discover Transylvania, home for the most of Europe’s well-preserved medieval places, with one of your favorite airlines.

The Piarist Church (Romanian: Biserica Piariștilor), also known as the Jesuit Church (Romanian: Biserica Iezuiților) or the University Church (Romanian: Biserica Universității) is located on Universitatii Street, in Cluj-Napoca. Dedicated to the Holy Trinity, it was the first Roman Catholic Church built in Transylvania after the Protestant Reformation, being built in a Baroque style.

On 13 March 1718, Jesuit priests began a fundraising campaign in order to build the church. The church was completed in 1724 and consecrated the following year by Bishop Joannes Antalfi. The Jesuits were suppressed in 1773 by Pope Clement XIV, so in 1776 Empress Maria Theresa transferred the church to the Piarists. The church was restored in 1775, 1831, 1943, 1970 and 2005-2006.

The church stands out with two clock towers, each 45m high. Also the building has three narrow vertical windows above the entrance, meant to help illuminate the interior, some of them are painted. The main door is surrounded by rich ornamentation, above it there is a bas-relief of the Trinity with the Latin inscription Honori Sanctissimae Trinitatis (“In Honour of the Most Holy Trinity“). There are two smaller doors to the left and the right of this one; above each of them is a sculpture of a saint resting in a niche – Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Xavier, works of the Bavarian artist Johannes Konig.

In comparison with external design, the Church interior is lavishly ornamented. The building has only one central aisle between its western wall and its chancel.

Also, the tourists can see three chapels on the different sides, each with its own altar and adorned with several paintings. One of the most interesting things in Cluj-Napoca Piarists’ Church is the altar in the choir that is more than grandiose and is dedicated to the Trinity. Upon it rests an icon of the Virgin Mary, painted on wood and framed in metal. Underneath the church building there is a crypt with 140 graves.

After visiting this marvelous Church, guests are encouraged to visit St. Michael’s Church which is the first building constructed in Cluj-Napoca and dates since 1316 and the Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral. Another recommendation is to discover a monumental masterpieces located roundabout 10 minutes’ walk: the Matthias Corvinus Monument established in the Union Square, and Avram Iancu Monument situated in the Avram Iancu Square. Also, Cluj-Napoca Botanical Garden, officially Alexandru Borza Cluj-Napoca University Botanic Garden (Romanian: Grădina Botanică Alexandru Borza a Universităţii Cluj-Napoca), is waiting for its tourists. It’s a ten minutes’ walk from the Piarist Church.

The Transylvanian Museum of Ethnography (in Romanian: Muzeul Etnografic al Transilvaniei) is located in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. It was founded in 1922 and it has started its activity officially since 1st of January 1923. It is the first Romanian museum founded on a scientific program, having as contributors great specialists of the epoch.
The museum has a collection of more than 50,000 objects reflecting the occupations, the habits and the life style of the Transylvanian rural population. Part of this collection is to be found in the Reduta Palace while the rest of the objects are in the open-air section.
The collection here presented is a representative selection of the items and clothes used in rural everyday life. Besides, Reduta Palace also houses a collection of some 50,000 photographs and some 5,000 diapositives. The library of the museum has some 12,000 scholarly journals and specialized magazines.
Withal the Museum has an important room with original artifacts like: unique type of money from Transylvanian territory, shoes made of straw, beef leather, homemade toys and women’s accessories.
Besides this, the Transylvania Museum of Ethnography has prepared a showy tour for public which consists of 8 rooms: Occupation, Alimentation, Ceramics , Textiles, Clothes, Habits, International section, Department outdoors
One of the most popular exhibitions is the one which presents the traditional clothes where every visitor may see national ports which symbolize the depth of culture in this country.
Visitors are encouraged to analyze delicate fabrics of traditional blouse named in Romanian language “ie”- made of white cotton cloth. Moreover, only here people can notify the differences between peasant clothes and elite ports.
In the room dedicated to the traditional musical instruments there are exhibited signaling old instruments, such as flutes, shepherd’s pipes, stringed instruments: lute, zither, violin, double bass, and in the sector that shows the traditional food there is exhibited the household inventory used for cooking – at the fireplace – in the Transylvanian peasant houses at the end of the 19th century.
For those who are fascinated in this appealing tour, the Museum’s exhibitions are opened from Wednesday to Sunday from 10am until 6pm. Guests are not allowed to consume food and drink inside the Museum, in the exhibitions’ areas, but after ending the tour, travelers can stopped to have dinner on the same street where are different types of restaurants and fast food courts.
After a long day of historical dates and artifacts, tourists may go by walk for a recreation to the Botanical Garden that is near Museum. The place is much groomed and tranquility of nature that will give new powers for next day exploration.

The Babes-Bolyai University is by far the largest university in Romania. Located in Cluj-Napoca, the heart of Transylvania, UBB, as it is often called, takes around 40,000 students under its wing each year. The incoming students can choose their academic path from a range as wide as 22 faculties, totaling 114 different bachelor specializations and numerous masters’ studies.

Babes-Bolyai, considered an advanced research and education university, was included in the Top 700 Universities of the World as of 2012, along with three other Romanian universities and is officially ranked as number 1 university in Romania.

As it benefits from a multicultural and multilingual environment, UBB supports ethnical diversity, having introduced study programs in Hungarian, English, German and French and it proudly prepares foreign students from all over the world.

Babes-Bolyai University is spread all throughout Cluj-Napoca, each faculty having its own modern or historical building and its own library. Babes-Bolyai has a wide range of cultural centers and language centers, museums (Zoological Museum, Mineralogical Museum, Academic Museum, etc) and other notable facilities such as the unique Botanical Garden or the Sports Park. UBB provides students with qualitative accommodation in 15 dormitories. The university even extends outside of Cluj-Napoca, with several branches spread through Transylvania.

Babes-Bolyai is one of the most prestigious universities in Eastern Europe, especially after signing the Magna Charta Universitatum and establishing partnerships with 210 universities from 50 countries.

The University received the name of Babes-Bolyai after two renowned students: Romanian biologist Victor Babes and Hungarian mathematician Janos Bolyai. Before this, the University underwent several changes. The creation of a university teaching in Hungarian, Romanian and German in Cluj was under discussion ever since 1870, but with the coming of World War I and the Great Union of Romania, this was postponed until 1919, when the Romanian University of Cluj was established. World War II also caused disruption within the university, which was moved to Timisoara and Sibiu and replaced with an Hungarian University. At the end of the war, the University moved back to Cluj under the name of King Ferdinand I University and later Victor Babes and it established the Hungarian teaching Bolyai University. These two institutions united in 1959 forming the now well-reputed Babes-Bolyai University of Cluj.

Babes-Bolyai University delivers a great deal of tourism experts annually through the Faculty of Geography on Republicii Street. It specializes students in 5 domains: Geography, Tourism Geography, and Territorial planning, Cartography, Hydrology and Meteorology in 3 choices of language: Romanian, Hungarian and German.

The Romanian National Opera is one of the most gorgeous architecture in Transylvania that dated from 1906. The Opera shared the same building with the National Theater and give an opportunity to everybody to remark the beauty of the edifice.

The story of this building started in 1904 by the famous Austrian architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer who brought with success a real architectural masterpiece in Transylvania.

Until 1919, The National Opera was a part of  the Kingdom of Hungary, and it was home to the local Hungarian National Theater. After 1919 has been home to the local Romanian National Theatre and Opera.

The first opera performance took place on 25 May 1920 with the Romanian version Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida, with Alfred Novak as conductor, and Constantin Pavel as stage director.

During its existence, the Cluj-Napoca Romanian Opera staged more than 200 operas, operettas and ballets from all over the world and more than 40 Romanian performance art-forms, including the premieres of George Enescu’s Oedipe and Sigismund Toduta’s Mesterul Manole. More of this, you can admire the Romanian actors like: Angela Gheorghiu, Alexandru Agache, Carmen Oprisanu, Simona Noja, Nicoleta Ardelean, George Petean, Tatiana Lisnic, Marian Pop, Anita Hartig, Adrian Sampetrean, Balint Szabo, that are recognised on european level.

The Cluj-Napoca Romanian Opera established itself as an important European opera company, due to prestigious artistic tours in Italy (more than 22 tours starting from 1971), the Netherlands, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, England, Switzerland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Ukraine, then-Czechoslovakia, etc.

In our days the opera make citizens happy by its Neo-Baroque style with some inflections inspired by Art Nouveau in the decoration of the foyer. Also, a lot of tourists come in Transylvania to take a look and participate in an annual event that is organized by National Opera named “Opera Ball” (in Romanian: “Balul Operei”).

“Opera Ball” started in 1992 for necessity to raise funds for the renovation of the some parts of Opera that are too damage by ages. The event includes a lot of festivity in one night such as: theatrical, opera and ballet play. Initiator of the festivity invites music bands or singers, theater actors, known and important people. In every edition people can meet political leaders, mayors, prefects, diplomats, senators, deputies, and cultural and famous persons: Florin Piersic, Marin Constantin, Corul Madrigal.  This annual event is one of the most important for every person that is living in Cluj-Napoca, because of its charity character.

This historical monument has a special charm thanks to monuments, personal yard and symbols that are located atop building. The international guests can watch international theater and opera play in a different language that can satisfy every fastidiousness and pleasures.

Also, tourists can visit the Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral that is nearby the National Opera or take a walk to the St. Michael’s Cathedral, located in the Matei Corvin Square.

For sure Cluj-Napoca is one of the most gorgeous cities that have ever existed on Transylvania’s territory. Cluj-Napoca is famous for its primarily Renaissance, Baroque and Gothic architectures. But the most important tourist attraction is of course Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral-Romanian Orthodox Church.

The church was built between 1923 and 1933, after the Union of Transylvania with the Romanian Old Kingdom; therefore the construction of the Cathedral lasted almost 10 years. Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral is showy because of its Brancovenesc style – a synthesis of Renaissance and Byzantine architecture, located in the middle of the city on Piata Avram Iancu street no. 18. The project of the cathedral was developed by the architects George Cristinel and Constantin Pomponiu, who also designed the Mausoleum of Marasesti.

On 5 of November 1933 the Cathedral was officially opened by Miron Cristea, the Patriarch of all Romania, Nicolae Balan, the Metropolitan of Transylvania and Nicolae Ivan, the Bishop of Cluj. The opening ceremony was also attended, among many others, by King Carol II and Crown Prince Michael I.

The Cathedral was endowed with four bells brought from Hungary and one of them weight two tons. Also tourists can enter inside absolutely for free and stay there how long they desire.

For sure every person will be impressed by the icon size which is located at a height of 4 meters; colors used for the priesthood portraits are showing imposingly priests clothing. Travelers interested in religious tourism can take a tour with a guide that can inform and tell the unknown story about this building.

Moreover if you are lucky you can attend a wedding ceremony between newlyweds and follow this saint event. One of the catchiest things that you can observe is the diverse attire of the priesthoods that are totally different in every event. For example in fasting before Easter, priests are wearing black color. On Holy Thursday priests are wearing red robes and on Whitsuntide they are changing their clothes in viola robes thus the clothes signify Romanian traditions and hallowed celebrations.

In subsoil every tourist can discover important information about first priest that served in this church and some of dates about items used during services since 1933. If you wish to take a look outward, near cathedral is located a small green park with banks for visitors and tourists.

 

When anyone thinks about Cluj-Napoca, they probably visualize the immense Gothic edifice placed exactly in the heart of the city. Saint Michael’s Cathedral is undoubtedly the most representative landmark of Cluj. Although most cities have a grandiose holy monument in its center, St. Michael’s plays an impressive role on the city’s identity. It has been a constantly notable sight all throughout history. The expansion of Cluj-Napoca owes a lot to this Cathedral because it sparked the construction of all the administrative and public buildings around it.

The Cathedral is the second greatest Gothic church in Transylvania, after the Black Church in Brasov. Its massive tower measures 80 meters and the cross on top of it is 4 meters tall. These make up the highest church tower in Romania.

The first documentation regarding the church’s existence is from the year 1349, although other sources claim it had begun 30 years prior. The piece of land on which it stands was initially used as a cemetery that has its own chapel. The construction was funded mostly by citizens of Cluj-Napoca and it was finished in 1444, as it is inscribed at the entrance. The initial tower was built in the early 1500s, but today stands the one built in 1862.

The Cathedral has undergone several changes and additions since its inauguration year. Today it is a harmonious mélange between Baroque, Gothic and neo-Gothic. The changes were undertaken as a result of a fire in 1679 and the Church was rebuilt in Baroque style in 1744. A second major event that changed the aspect of the church took place in 1763 when it suffered an earthquake and the tower was totally destroyed. After a while, in 1837 the existing clock tower was built this time in a neo-Gothic style.

The church served different confessions during history. First it was Lutheran, afterwards it became Calvinist, then Unitarian for about 150 years and in the end Catholic, as it is today.

Even though it has an undeniable architectural importance, it also has a historical reputation because several major events were hosted within. Some of these are: the baptism of Matthias Corvinus Rex and the crowning ceremonies of numerous princes of Transylvania.

The interior of the St. Michael’s Cathedral consists of elements varying in style, an assembly of visually appealing works of art.

Entering the cathedral, the first of these elements is the monumental entrance portal of the church. It was initially decorated with King Emperor Sigismund of Luxembourg’s coats of arms, a big contributor to the construction. Also at the entrance there is a representation of St. Michael, the church’s protector. The centerpiece of the interior is the altar, a neo-Gothic inspired religious artwork. The altar is decorated with a sculpture showing the Virgin Mary and two Hungarian saints to her sides, St. Stephen and St. Ladislau. The spiral staircase and the stained glass windows catch the eye of every tourist, as well as the organ above the entrance.

Besides its religious masses and organ concerts, St.Michael’s also gives tourists the opportunity to see the panorama of the city from its tower, but exclusively once or twice a year, so do not miss it!

There are a great deal of restaurants, cafes, shops and libraries encircling Cluj-Napoca’s greatest landmark, which make it easy for tourists to spend all day roaming around it.