Henri Coanda International Airport is located outside the urban area of Bucharest -Otopeni, Ilfov County- and is the busiest airport in Romania. The airport is located at a distance of 16.5 km from the center of Bucharest. It is named after Romanian flight pioneer Henri Coanda, builder of Coanda – 1910 aircraft and discoverer of the Coanda effect of fluidics. Until May 2004, the official name was Bucharest Otopeni International Airport.

Henri Coanda International Airport serves as headquarters for Tarom, the national airline of Romania and the private company Tiriac Air. Also, it is the base of operations for charter companies and low-cost, Air Bucharest, Blue Air and Wizz Air.

The airport is administered by Bucharest Airports National Company SA. It has 2 tracks with 70 destinations, 38 airlines and operators and in 2016 was registered 10.981.652 passengers to travel from Henri Coanda International Airport. Regarding the airport history, during the World War II, Otopeni airport was used as a military base by the German air force. By 1965, it was limited to military use and was one of the most important bases of the Romanian Air Force.

In 1965, a new commercial airport was built in Otopeni. The track was modernized and extended to 3,500 meters, making it one of the longest runways in Europe at that time. In August 1969, when President Nixon of the United States visited Romania, it was opened a VIP lounge.

In 1970 was opened a new passenger terminal (designed by Cezar Lazarescu) with a capacity of 1.2 million passengers per year and the second runaway was built in 1986, having 3,500 meters long. Finally, in 1992, Otopeni Airport became a regular member of Airports Council International (ACI) and it was ready to be upgraded over a long period of time that lasts until today.

Airport facilities consist of a single terminal with two main buildings: Departures Terminal and Arrivals Terminal, connected by passage which include a variety of shops, cafes, lounges and internet cafe. The airport has 32 gates, 14 of which are equipped with tunnels for transfer to the aircraft. Henri Coanda International Airport is accessible via bus lines, train, taxi or personal car. In 2015, Henri Coandă International Airport was ranked, by Airports Council International – Europe, in fourth place among European airports with the highest air traffic growth in the first half of the year, in the category of airports which had between 5 and 10 million passengers.

Piatra Neamt, the capital of Neamt County, is located in the northern part of the charming region of Moldavia. The picturesque city, surrounded by the Eastern Carpathians, lies on the banks of the Bistrita River.

The land of present Piatra Neamt is known to have been one of the first human settlements on Romania’s territory.  Throughout the Neamt county there have been found traces of the much discussed mysterious culture of Cucuteni, a civilization who has lived 5 thousand years ago. Even more, the first centuries before and after Christ found this area as a large Dacian town, known as Petrodava.

Piatra Neamt lived a period of intense development under Stephen the Great in the 15th century, when the Princely Court, Stephen’s Tower and St John Baptist Church were built. The princely court, today the historical center, around which the actual city of Piatra Neamt developed, nests the Petru Rares College, the Art Museum, the Ethnography Museum, the Princely Court Museum and the aforementioned Stephen’s  Steeple Tower and the Church of St John the Baptist, which together form the symbol of Piatra Neamt.

Museums in Piatra Neamt are plenty, from the Cucuteni Museum of Eneolithic Art, which exhibits painted ceramics, art objects depicting humans and animals, to the Ethnographic Museum, a beautiful collection of traditional costumes and artisan tools suggesting the peasants’ way of life on Bistrita Valley.

The religious monuments of Piatra Neamt exceed the traveler’s expectations by their inestimable artistic value, like the “Transfiguration of Jesus” Wooden Church in Valeni or the richly ornamented Byzantine style Bistrita Monastery fortresses by four meters stone walls which were rebuilt after Suleiman the Magnificent destroyed them.

Surprisingly, Piatra Neamt also hosts a wooden synagogue, namely the “Baal Sem Tov”, which attests a large Jewish community from the medieval times. The wooden synagogue attracts thousands of tourists every year, for it dates back from 1766 and it is considered the oldest synagogue in Romania, possibly even in southeastern Europe.

With the administration of Piatra Neamt’s goal to put the city on the map of touristic destinations of Romania, they even constructed a cable car to facilitate the winter sports practiced on Cozla Park, as well as it is also the ideal way to admire the city panorama and the nature surrounding it from a pretty high altitude.

The Cozla Park, besides being a ski run, also administers a zoo park where tourists can spot the native fauna like bears, wolves, foxes, deer and stags.

Strandul Tineretului is not to be forgotten in this array of landmarks, as it is a touristic complex which plays the role of the perfect destination for summer. Here you can relax at the pool, play tennis, football, sand volley and basketball, roller blade and skate, or go on a a paintball session. There are also numerous accommodations, terraces and clubs available here.

The Romanian Orthodox Patriarchal Cathedral is a place of worship for all Romanian Orthodox being located on Metropolitan Hill in Bucharest. Wallachia ruler Serban Basarab is the first person that starts the construction of this beautiful building, in the 17th century. The structure is finished in 1698 under the rule of Constantin Brancoveanu. The grandiose work of art has 28 meters in its interior and a nave of 14.6 meters. The cathedral is well-known, here being made the first Bible translated in Romanian language. The Bible had an important part in the Romanian literary language development.The Romanian Orthodox Patriarchal Cathedral is a larger copy of Curtea de Arges Monastery of Neagoe Basarab. This Cathedral is dedicated to Saints Constantine and Helena and is consecrated by Mihnea III in the 17th century. It is transformed in Metropolitan and after the First World War is changed in a Patriarchate. The Patriarchal Assembly is composed buy:

  • Patriarchal Cathedral “St. Constantine and Helena
  • Belfry Tower built by Constantin Brancoveanu in the 17th century
  • Patriarchal Palace Chapel finished in the 18th century by Prince Nicolae Mavrocordat and Bishop Daniil (1719-1731) carefulness
  • Patriarchal Palace is made for the first time as an abbot and then become the metropolitan residence

The Patriarchal Cathedral is for the first time painted in the 17th century in the times of Radu Leon Voivode (1664-1669). This ruler transforms this edifice in a Metropolitan one on June 8, 1668. During time, the Cathedral has gone through several repairs and after the restoration between 1960 and 1962, it was built after the architectural model of Curtea de Arges Monastery. Its interior contains an altar, a nave having a trefoil form. Visitors can see an expand narthex supported by stone columns, with outstanding carved capitals in composite manner. The four prismatic towers and the exterior surrounded by a stone belt approximately in the middle of the construction are worth seeing and discovering. The Romanian Orthodox Patriarchal Cathedral started to have mural paintings between the years 1932 and 1935. The Iconostasis is decorated with a glided sculpture same as the imperial doors. Travelers that visit the Patriarch Cathedral can see the Relics of St. Dmitry the New, assembled in a silver shrine. Saint Dmitry the New is the patron of Bucharest and is commemorated every year on October 27. These relics were brought from the village of Basarabi by Metropolitan Gregory II (1760-1787). This tourist attraction deserves traveler attention because of its impressive appearance, beautiful paintings and for hosting the relics of St. Dmitry the New, since 1774.

The interesting Palace of Justice is an important emblem of justice from Bucharest. This historical and architectural monument is built between 1890 and 1895 during the economic boom and is located on Dambovita River.

After Carol I was crowned, the old Judgment Court became too small and King Carol I decided to build the Palace of Justice which is worthy for an independent state. This wonderful construction is built on the same place where used to be the Judgment Court, constructed on lands of boyars Creţuleşti and Goleşti.

Following the steps of Minister of Justice, Eugeniu Stătescu, in 1882 the Parliament gave the first loan needed to start this work of art. Architect Albert Ballu was chosen to make this edifice and architect Ion Mincu was responsible with the interior design and finishes.

The Palace of Justice is made in an irregular quadrilateral plan, has a basement, ground and three floors. It is built in a Renaissance style and has six allegorical statues symbolizing the Law, Righteousness, Justice and Truth. The edifice’s clock has also two statues that represent the Force and the Prudence. On the Main Front are three doors on which visitors can enter in the building. The Palace rooms are vast with many decorations.

The most important hall is “The Hall of Lost Steps”, also known as “Hall Horologe”. It occupies a quarter of the total building area and on its exterior are two stairs of honor made of marble. In the center of this hall tourists can see the Justice Minister Eugen Statescu Monument made by Ernest Dubois and Lawyer Mihai Kornea Monument by Romanelli. On October 4, 1895, The Palace of Justice is inaugurated with an official document on parchment through Carol I that offers this building to the judicial corpus to achieve their mission.

This parchment is made in three copies, one is built in this edifice, one is submit to the State Archives and the last one is preserved by Minister of Justice.

Between 1954 and 1956 are made repairs because they wanted to transform this edifice in a Palace of Culture.After the 1977 earthquake this building needs serious repairs, as most of the buildings from Bucharest. It looks like between 1979 and 1981 are made consolidation works, but below the mark. Because of the 1986 earthquake and because there are no funds for repairs this edifice closes its justice activity.

On June 2003 under the governance of Adrian Nastase starts the restoration and consolidation made by Romanian and France architects.

The restoration of this Palace is finished in 2006 and the following institutions are returning: Court of Appeal, District Court 5 Bucharest, Romania Magistrates Association, National Union of Bars in Romania, Bucharest Bar.

Free Press Building is an enormous construction located in Bucharest, the capital of Romania. It was the biggest construction between 1956 and 2007. This mega construction waits its tourists to come and see years of culture and history that cross over it.

In the beginning, the building had the name Polygraphic Compound “Casa Scanteii I. V. Stalin” and after a while adopted the name Spark House (Romanian: Casa Scanteii). It’s compound by a central corpus which had 13 floors and 4 side corpses that are smaller than the central one. It was used for Publication state media, especially the ” Spark ” newspaper (Romanian: Scanteia). This was the Romanian Communist Party’s newspaper. The construction was possible with the workers donations that helped the Communist Party to fulfill this dream.

Proud of this new symbol, communists made it appeared on the back of the 100 Ron banknotes from 1952. In terms of architecture, this building used the predominance of Socialist style with Stalinist influences.

The Spark House combines the architecture of State University “Lomonosov” with the hotel “Leningrad”, both from Moscow, and specific religious details from Moldavia and Wallachia. Every corpus side has turrets dedicated to decorate the walls. These turrets have also windows that are associated with old Romanian churches and monasteries frames. On the Principal Tower visitor can see an interesting exterior decoration named “ocnita” that is a recessed rectangular window in the wall. Spark House is the first edifice on which was introduced the calculation of a possible earthquake resistance using some Old Italian Norms. The Antenna from this building was the Romanian television broadcaster, but without it, the construction had only 96 meters.

After 1989 this building becomes the Autonomous Printing “Coresi”. On February 1999 it changed in National Printing Company Coresi also name as Free Press House. From that year this edifice hosts paper editions as “Adevarul”, “Jurnalul National”, “Cotidianul”. This building is also the house of press agency Agerpres and Coresi printing. On September 2, 1960 in front of this construction was built a big statue of Lenin, removed 30 years later. The pedestal is still there.

If you visit Bucharest don’t forget to stop for awhile and admire the beautiful architecture of Free Press Building.

Romania is a wonderful country, with gorgeous landscapes, amazing castles, fortresses, epic medieval cities and splendid architecture. In Romania you can practice many types of tourism, such as: cultural tourism (which is the most common type of tourism in Romania), historical tourism, adventure tourism, religious tourism, wellness tourism, scientific tourism, rural tourism, industrial tourism, and business tourism and so on.

Most of the European foreigners are fascinated by medieval cities and ancient churches, especially that built in Romanic and Gothic style. Some of them are practicing genealogy tourism. Germans and Hungarians come to see how their ancestors lived and to find more about them. The most important medieval cities are located in Transylvania. These are: Cluj-Napoca, Bistrita, Alba-Iulia, Brasov, Sibiu, Medias, Rasnov, Turda and Sighisoara. Each one of them has a gorgeous architecture and famous places and objectives to visit:

  • Michael’s Church,The Reformed Church from M. Kogalniceanu Street, Franciscan Church from Musem Square and Calvaria Church located in Cluj-Napoca.
  • Evangelic Church located in Bistrita
  • The Romano-catholic cathedral located in Alba Iulia
  • The Black Church located in Brasov
  • The Evangelic Church located in Sibiu
  • The Evangelic Church St.Margaret located in Medias
  • Monastery Church located in Sighisoara

Besides that, there are other fortified churches in Transylvania that are not located in cities, but in medieval villages. These are: Biertan, Calnic, Darjiu, Prejmer, Saschiz, Valea Viilor and Viscri. Many of these churches are part of UNESCO Heritage List. It is fascinating to see churches and buildings that preserved from almost 500-600 years or even more and trying to imagine how people were living back then.

Castles and fortresses represent strength for Romania. There are some castles that are famous all over the world, like Dracula’s Castle (Bran Castle – for its legend with vampires),the Palace of Parliament (second biggest building in the world, after Pentagon), Peles Castle (being nominalized by many top publications as the no. 1 castle in Europe) and Huniazilor Castle (for its legends and movies that were filmed there). Other fortresses that are worth visiting are Alba Iulia, Sighisoara, Rupea, Rasnov and the Dacian fortresses Sarmisegetusa Regia (the dacian capital, abandoned about 2000 years ago, which still preserves very well), Costesti and Banita.

Along with castles and fortresses, another famous built heritage made Romania famous: Maramures the land of wooden churches and Bucovina the land of painted monasteries.

Eight wooden churches from Maramures are part of UNESCO Heritage List, many of them built between 1700 and 1800. These UNESCO wooden churches are located in: Budesti, Desesti, Barsana, Poienile Izei, Ieud, Surdesti, Plopis si Rogoz. Besides these one, there are more wooden churches in the region.

The painted churches from Bucovina are part of UNESCO Heritage List too, eight of them, just like the wooden churches. These monasteries are: Arbore, Humor, Moldovita, Patrauti, Probota, Suceava, Moldovita and Voronet. The last one mentioned, Voronet is famous for its shade of blue. This shade of blue was named after the monastery: Voronet blue.

These are part of Romanian’s built heritage, a valuable treasure for us, Romanians, and for tourists.

After mentioning what it was built, we would like to mention what it was given by nature. Romania has wonderful landscapes and it’s called “The Carpathian Garden”. It has almost an equal percentage of mountains, hills and plains. It has almost 250 km of seaside, an unique Delta, Danube’s Delta, over 2000 caves and breathtaking mountains. Highest peak in Romania has 2544 meters. Romanian Carpathians are perfect for hiking, skiing or for scientific purposes. Two roads in the country are famous, Transfagarasan, called the most beautiful road in the world by many famous publications and Transalpina, at an altitude of 2000 meters and a breathtaking view.

Romania also has a large spectrum of mineral water, used to cure many diseases. The best known wellness and SPA resorts are: Baile Felix, Baile Herculane, Olanesti, Calimanesti, Caciulata, Sovata, Ocna Sugatag, and Tusnad.

In the end, I would like to talk about customs, traditions and folklore. There are some regions in Romania that some of traditions and customs are well preserved by locals. The most popular ones are on Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Easter, and 1st of March.

Easter is associated with painting and knocking eggs. Before Christmas and New Year’s Eve children and young men are going from house to house singing carols. For their effort, they receive cakes or traditional sweets. They wear traditional clothes and go to church on holidays, and many traditional dances and customs that are waiting to be discovered by tourists.

These are some reasons to visit Romania. I hope I aroused your curiosity to come and visit. We are waiting for you.

The CEC Palace, also known as the Palace of Deposits, Consignations and Economics can be found in Bucharest, the capital of Romania, on Calea Victoriei Street. This edifice resisted in front of the earthquakes that shocked the capital, and its structure hasn’t been damaged.

CEC is open as an institution in 1864 by a law given by Alexandru Ioan Cuza. CEC institution works in different buildings until 1875 when starts the construction of today’s building.   In the 14th century in this place used to be some settlements restored by Constantin Brancoveanu between 1702 and 1703. In 1875 in this place used to be the Monastery and the Inn named “Saint John the Great”. All this buildings deteriorated and were demolished. Today’s building is made on the first old headquarters of Deposit House.

CEC Palace is finished in 1900 by the architects Paul Gottereanu and Ion Socolescu. This remarkable edifice is built in eclectic style and has a dome made by glass and metal. The dome allows natural light to enter the interior and to enlighten the place. The entry has some Renaissance domes ornate with gables and flags. The interior has notable pictures of Mihai Simondie dating from 1900 -1913. “Storm distributes its goods over Romania after Independence” or “Work” are two special paintings which delights visitors.

On September 2005 CEC Museum opened its gates for all tourists in the Great Hall of the CEC Palace. In this museum travelers can see original objects such as: original documents of transactions of financial and banking in the early years of the bank, financial documents and civil collection, treasure of CEC bank products since the 1880s until today, “piggy banks”, safes interwar, stamps, commemorative medals, badges, and cards. During the inauguration of CEC Museum is made an exhibition called “Bucharest between 1850 and 1917”. This exhibition shows 30 original photographs and 100 postcards belonging to the Romanian Academy Library.

Nowadays this construction hosts CEC Bank and also the CEC Museum. This sumptuous historical monument is part of the Bucharest tourist attractions.

A gorge on the great Danube River, the Iron Gates trace a border between Romania and its neighbor, Serbia. Some consider the gorge to be a 134 km long route, as others consider the Iron Gates as the last barrier of this route, which encompasses the two dams as hydroelectric power stations of: Iron Gate I and Iron Gate II.

North from the Iron Gates there is the Romanian land and the whereabouts make up the Iron Gates Natural Park, whereas to the south, there is Serbia and its Derdap National Park. The Danube’s flow in this area plays the role of a separator between the Carpathian and the Balkan Mountains.

Both banks of this area of Danube’s pass were inhabited from the oldest of times, since the Paleolithic. Named Porta Ferea in Latin, this pass has caused problems for the Danube’s sailors for centuries on end, as it was a rock barrier with whirling waters which made navigation impossible. Today, the “murdering gates” are peaceful. The myriads of rocks peeking out of the water now sit quietly under the accumulation lake of Iron Gate I Hydroelectric Power Station. Some say that after centuries of continuous battle between the Danube and the Carpathians and Balkans, river and mountain, water and rock, have finally made peace.

Due to its narrowness, the Great Kazan is the most famous gorge on the route. Not far from this landmark there is the legendary bridge of Apollodorus of Damascus and onwards from here you can see the “Tabula Traiana” Roman commemorative plaque on the Serbian shore. The not far away Small Kazan hosts the majestic rock sculpture of Decebalus, Trajan’s Dacian opponent, known as the tallest rock relief in Europe.

The megaproject of the two dams began in 1964 with the first Iron Gate Dam finished 1972, whilst the second dam opened 12 years thereafter along with the hydroelectric power stations.

The construction of the two dams caused the Danube to ride 35 meters and the famous and deeply regretted Ada Kales Island.

While in this area, make sure you get to explore Antiquity with the Dacian fortresses from Divici, the Liubcova cliff, the roman castrum and Apollodorus’ Bridge, the Middle Ages by visiting the ruins of Saint Ladislau, Drencova and Tricule fortresses, modern history with Veterani Cave, the Iron Gate I Hydroelectric Power Station. There are also the churches on cliffs Saint Ana Monastery and Vodita Monastery.

Besides these landmarks, the Iron Gates natural park can also be the perfect relaxing getaway. Here you can navigate all day on the Danube, explore the rural life and do some sightseeing. You will not want to close your eyes!

Cheile Nerei-Beusinta National Park is an unrevealed tourist attraction which can be found between Soposul Nou locality and Sasca Romana district. From 1990 this space is recognized as a National Park and is also consider the wildest Ghats from Romania.

Cheile Nerei-Beusita National Park is a protected area which is dedicated to maintain the wildness of flora and fauna for all people.

Cheile Nerei National Park enchants its tourists with mystical caves and gorgeous cascades. A trip in this place delights the eyes of the visitors with treasures like Ochiul Beiului Lake with its special blue shade. This important attraction from Cheile Nerei Park had a legend that says that there was a time when Banat region use to be under Ottomans rule. There is an interesting legend about this place. It looks like in those times, a Turk boy and a shepherdess fall in love without caring about religion or culture. His father found out about their love affair and demanded his soldiers to go and kill the shepherdess girls. The Turk boy fought with them, but the girl is inevitably killed. He lost one of his eyes and when the eye fell, it transformed in the today’s lake. Because he lost his love, he committed suicide. All his tears formed the spring, nourish the lake. There is another legend that says that in the night of Sanziene feast the fairies from the forest baths in this water and dance. The locals from these places believe that all those who got lost in the forest and never returned, got into the clutches of these fairies. In reality, Ochiul Beiului Lake is a karst lake which is permanently nourished by a spring. Because of this, Ochiul Beiului Lake never freezes.

Another wonderful attraction from this park is the Devil Lake (Romanian: Lacul Dracului) which is also the biggest karst lake from Romania. It is formed by the falling of the ceiling cave.  The name of this lake comes from a bet between the devil and a goatherd. The devil appears in from of this goatherd and put him to cook a fish without getting hooked in the fire. The goatherd accepted this bet and also put the devil to cook a goat head without grinning in the fire. Of course, that goatherd wins because he put the fish in a stake. The devil becomes so mad that he throws him into water. It is says that this lake is a bottomless lake and those who adventure to swim here never returns back.

Beusnita Cascades and Susara Cascade are two beautiful places and we recommend to all tourists not to miss these places.

Cheile Nerei-Beusinta National Park is dedicated to all those who want to walk and see natural treasures and delights with unknown beauties.

Aiud is a small but beautiful city from Alba-Iulia, Transylvania region. It makes the connection between Alba-Iulia and Cluj and its rare beauty makes it perfect for a trip.

In Antiquity, the city of Aiud was a Roman settlement with the name “Brucla”. The first attestation of this city was in the 13th century when population was mostly Saxon. Aiud city becomes the most important, cultural and learning center of Calvinism religion from this area.

Visitors can see the wonderful Aiud Fortress, the oldest urban citadel from Transylvania. This fortress was built in two stages and in the first stage, the 14th century; the Saxons constructed a fortified church just like other citadels did. Aiud Fortress was made on the place of a Roman settlement.

This fortress had nine towers that took the name of clubs that owned them.These are: Gate Tower, Butchers’ Tower, Tower Locksmiths, Tailors Tower, Tower Kalendas, Shoemakers Tower, Potters Tower, Tower furriers and Coopers Tower. Also, the fortress hosts Calvin Reformed Church made in Gothic style.

Students Monument can be discovered by visitors in the city’s park. This monument was built in the memory of students that died in fights against Habsburgs. Now has a local historic value in stone canopy form.  In the interior there is an altar stone with the college oval emblem. All students names can be found on this local monument.

In the old Princely Palace, travelers can find the History Museum of Aiud which holds collections about history and archeology’s place. This museum consist in four rooms where public can admire sculptural and epigraph monuments from the Daco-Roman age. Other things that can be seen here are the vestiges of Paleolithic and beginning of the t Iron Age and pieces of bronze storage. Museum delights the viewer’s eyes with temporary exhibitions about art and ethnography.

Museum of Natural Science from Aiud is the oldest museum on this category from Romania. It had four rooms on where tourist can find precious stones and gemstones, fossils of marine snails and fossilized Palmer leaf. Also, viewers can see dinosaur fossils, fauna animals, sized alligator, and baby in mother’s womb and animals with malformations.

Strong essences are held in small bottles and this thing fits perfectly with the city of Aiud. Surrounded with historical facts and rare monuments is perfect to be visited in one day.