Prejmer is located in Brasov County, in the heart of Romania. The exact foundation date and settlement origin are unknown.
The Slavic origin of Romanian and Hungarian name of the village allows the assumption that the current village was proceeded by on older Slavic settlement.
The only certainty is that first document of the city dates back to 1240, when King Bela Iv of Hungary (1235-1270) gives the church in Prejmer “with all its rights” to Citeaux Monastery from Burgundy.
On the 1211 Hungarian King Andrew II mentions in a document addressed Teutonic, name of the Tarlung river, to which will increase Prejmer. The Teutonic Knights who receive rights to this territory are those who will rise up to a certain church Tartlau (Saxon name of the village). The church was built in burgundy Gothic style, introduced by the Cistercian at Carta village.
Like other monuments in Transylvania, Prejmer fortified church has been undergone to many changes, but after the restoration undertaken by the Directorate of Monuments between 1960 and 1970 it obtained its original shape. Considered the best preserved and most powerful medieval fortified church in Eastern Europe.
Since 1999 the church is part of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Dedicated to the patron “Holy Cross”, the church was built on a central plan in Greek cross, modified by the interventions from the sixteenth century.
Initially, the building was composed of four equal arms arranged around a square centered octagonal tower.
Each arm was composed of two spans, one square and one polygonal, the church in the center and on its right and left size two rectangular chapels.
Because Prejmer was the first village targeted by Turks coming on Buzau Pass, after King Sigismund ordered new defense systems in Barsa County, start the fortification of the church by building a tall and powerful enclosures, surrounded by a ditch filled with water.
The fortress build in circles shape, had 12 meters high and 3 – 4 meter thick walls, iron gates and drawbridges.
Besides fire holes fixed in walls, inside the fortress was an unusually weapon, the famous “Orgen Death ” , Comprising more weapons stacked together, firing all at once. She produced a large enemy panic and heavy losses. Today you can see one of the best preserved fortified churches from Transylvania here at Prejmer.